Every year, COMME des GARÇONS features a particular artist in its direct mails to clients. The recently published first issue for 2013 features manga artist Katsuhiro Otomo. The cover of the direct mail shows an illustration of the main characters Shōtarō Kaneda and Kei of Otomo’s famous manga, “AKIRA”. The illustration used was taken from the cover of volume 1 of the published manga books.
The direct mail is sent to customers of COMME des GARÇONS at the beginning of each collection season, when new stores open and when there are upcoming events. Roughly 40 issues are published annually and the concept is that when all the issues are gathered together, they become one book.
The layout design of the mails is directed by Rei Kawakubo who also selects the featured artists. She then creates collages of the artist’s works and edits the pieces by adding cuts and trims. Otomo’s manga are edited some in full color and others in black and white. The centerfold of the booklet has a picture of Neo-Tokyo, which is where the story of manga “AKIRA” takes place and the text “The Spring-Summer 2013 collections have arrived. Please come and visit” on it.
This form of direct mail began in 2008 and the first artist featured was Mondongo, followed by motion animators, the Quay Brothers, modern artist Ai Weiwei, graphic artist group assume vivid astro focus, and photographer René Burri of Magnum Photos. Otomo, who was the topic of discussion when he launched a large scale retrospective exhibition last year, is the first Japanese to be featured in the direct mail.
Works of the selected artist for the direct mail will also decorate the store displays and New Year greeting cards. In the past, collaboration items were created with the artists and this year as well, there are high expectations for exclusive projects with Otomo.
COMME des GARÇONS Starts 2013 with Katsuhiro Otomo
Published： Jan 21, 2013, 10:52AM JST
- Comme des Garcons Says Goodbye (2015-16 A/W)
- Geometrics are Breathtakingly Beautiful Under the Hands of Junya Watanabe (2015-16 A/W)
- Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons Collaborates with Dr. Martens and Spalwart (2015-16 A/W)
- Kei Ninomiya's Artistic and Impressive Show of Black (2015-16 A/W)
- Tricot Comme des Garcons Presents a Soft Collection of Denim (2015-16 A/W)
- Hello Kitty in 62 Different Outfits. Exhibit at Fukoku Seimei Building in Tokyo
- Creative Unit “Go On” from Japan Stands Up to Preserve Traditional Crafts
- The Rose of Versailles Prepares Isetan Shinjuku for the New Year
- Kyary Pamyu Pamyu’s Stylist Kumiko Iijima Creates a Pastel World of Jellyfish at Isetan
- Attack on Titan Invades the Ueno Royal Museum
- Graphic Designer Ikko Tanaka’s Artworks for Issey Miyake’s Latest Collection
- Perfume and Isetan Shinjuku Collaboration Communicates the Powers of Japan
- Alexander McQueen and Globe-Trotter Team-Up for “Shopping is Great Britain” Campaign in Japan
- Made in Japan Kabuki Design Stoles on Sale at Ginza Mitsukoshi
- Hello Kitty and Yohji Yamamoto Collaboration Unveil Latest Collection for 2015-16 A/W
- Interview: Noritaka Tatehana and His Creative Team Supported by Japanese Artisans
- Tod's Flower Bag in Exclusive Ginza Mitsukoshi Blue and Navy Combination
- Shu Uemura Picks Up the Fashion Headline Cosmetics Award for 2015
- Inside Air France’s La Premiere Lounge. High Quality Services Welcome World-Class Travelers
- See Rei Kawakubo and Yohji Yamamoto Designs at “Inside Out. Insights into Fashion”
- An International Crowd: Oscar de la Renta, Thomas Tait and Prabal Gurung (Report on Singapore Part 2)
- Hot Local Designers at Asia Fashion Exchange (Report on Singapore Part 1)
- Hajime Tachibana × Jun Takahashi of UNDERCOVER on “Tokyo, Fashion and Music” Part 1/6
- Masami Nagasawa and Takao Osawa to the World for GLOBAL WORK
- German Shoes Brand KENNEL＆SCHMENGER Opens Flagship Store in Tokyo
- UNDERCOVER Special Custom Pieces Exhibited in Aoyama Store Until End of January