Onitsuka Tiger from the Asics group teams up with fashion designer Kansai Yamamoto for the first time. 3 styles of collaboration sneakers have been designed. The items will go on sale from the end of March at directly operated Onitsuka Tiger stores and at Isetan Shinjuku Men’s Building.
The project was initiated by Yamamoto, who saw the symbolic tiger motif at Onitsuka Tiger’s store in London, which overlaps with the motifs that he frequently uses for his designs.
The collaboration introduces special editions of the iconic Mexico 66 Deluxe and Mexico Mid Runner Deluxe sneakers. The sneakers are adorned with digital prints of bird wings, leopard prints or kimono patchworks from the Meiji to Showa period. The colors yellow and green used were inspired from Yamamoto’s trip to Papua New Guinea. The sneakers appeared in Kansai Yamamoto’s fashion show presented at V&A in London last November.
The low-cut Mexico 66 Deluxe sneakers are priced at 25,200 yen (without tax) and the high-cut Mexico Mid Runner Deluxe at 27,300 yen (without tax).
Yamamoto will continue to work in various fields such as fashion, arts, culture and sports and contribute to society through the events he produces. His next project involves Istanbul.
Onitsuka Tiger × Kansai Yamamoto Sneakers!!
Published： Jan 2, 2014, 10:11PM JST
- Singapore's Isetan Hosts Pop-Up Focusing on Japanese Fashion Brands
- Kansai Yamamoto Meets Young Designers “Designs do not need to be Local” 3/3
- Kansai Yamamoto Meets Young Designers “Concrete Strategies are Essential to Global Success” 2/3
- Kansai Yamamoto Meets Young Designers “This is how it is in Japan” 1/3
- From New York: Ryuichi Sakamoto, Anna Sui and Kansai Yamamoto at Nipponista by Isetan Mitsukoshi
- Interview with Noritaka Tatehana. “I used to be Self-Centered, but Now I Want to Help Preserve Japanese Cultures”.
- Interview: Noritaka Tatehana and His Creative Team Supported by Japanese Artisans
- Isetan Mitsukoshi to Take Part in France’s Premiere Classe for the First Time
- Iris van Herpen and Noritaka Tatehana Present Collaboration Crystal Shoes without Heels
- Dr. Martens × Y’s in Snake Pattern
- Kanda’s 100-Year Kimono Textile Store Proposes Yukata Styles for the Summer
- The Grand Opening of the Renewed Ginza Mitsukoshi Department Store
- Remodeled Men’s Fashion Floor at Ginza Mitsukoshi Proposes Casual Styles Under a New Concept
- Luigi Borrelli Dresses Up Remodeled Men’s Fashion Floor at Ginza Mitsukoshi
- Ginza Mitsukoshi Reveals Remodeled Men’s Fashion Floor Vol. 2
- Isetan Mitsukoshi’s Private Brand Number Twenty-One Collaborates with Makoto Kagoshima
- Alexander McQueen and Globe-Trotter Team-Up for “Shopping is Great Britain” Campaign in Japan
- Sacai’s Fur Clutch and Stella McCartney’s Falabella Bag Available in Limited Editions at Ginza Mitsukoshi
- The Debut of “Ginza Style Beauty” at Mitsukoshi Department Store
- Chronicle of Japanese Fashion Magazines by Yuri Yokoi 6/12: ELLE JAPON Pursues Originality
- Chronicle of Japanese Fashion Magazines by Yuri Yokoi 7/12: 25-Year Old ELLE JAPON Welcomes Kaori Tsukamoto