Towada Art Center will hold an exhibition titled “Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa SANAA” by international architect unit SANAA to commemorate its 5th anniversary. From Feb 1 until Mar 30.
The exhibit introduces SANAA’s projects as well as Sejima and Nishiwaza’s individual works. Through the display of 40 pieces of models, sketches and images of the unit's architectural works- e.g. EPFL Learning Center, Louvre Lens, the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa- the exhibit explores the up-coming future of architecture and the interaction between community and architecture.
Office of Ryue Nishizaawa handled the exhibit layout. The architectural firm of the architect who designed the Towada Art Center incorporates the resting areas as well as the corridors together with the exhibition rooms as a grand exhibit area.
An opening reception will be held on Feb 1 with a talk session by Nishizawa and Sejima. Seats limited to 30 people (priority given to those with pre-booking) are free of charge. Talk session with Nishizawa and musician Yoshihide Otomo, who is known for 2013 NHK TV series “Amachan”, is scheduled for Feb 16. A special live show “OTOMO YOSHIHIDE Special Live in TOWADA” is also planned (admission: 2,000 yen with one free drink) among others.
Kazuyo Sejima was born in Ibaraki in 1956. Completing Japan Women’s University Graduate School in 1981, worked for Toyo Ito & Associates, Architects and later established Kazuyo Sejima & Associates in 1987.
Ryue Nishizawa was born in Tokyo in 1966. Upon completing his master course at Yokohama National University in 1990, started his career at Kazuyo Sejima & Associates. In 1995, formed architectural unit “SANAA” with Kazuyo Sejima and in 1997, established Office of Ryue Nishizawa. Currently also teaches at Yokohama Graduate School of Architecture (Y-GSA) as professor.
“SANAA” is an award-winning architect group winning the Gold Lion Award at Venice Biennale 9th International Architecture Exhibition and The Pritzker Architecture Prize. Also active in interior designs, urban planning and furniture designs.
Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa SANAA
Dates: February 1st - March 30th
Venue: Towada Art Center
Address: 10-9 Nishi-Nibancho, Towada-shi, Aomori
Time: 9 am - 5pm (Entrance until 30 minutes prior to close)
Admission: 900 yen for SANAA exhibition + permanent exhibition, 500 yen for SANAA exhibition only, 500 yen for permanent exhibition, and free admission for high school students and younger
Closed: Mondays (the next day will be closed if Monday is a holiday)
SANAA Exhibition at Towada Art Center
Published： Jan 16, 2014, 9:38PM JST
- In Harmony With Nature, Towada Oirase Art Festival and Yoshitomo Nara Music Festival
- Yayoi Kusama and Yoshitomo Nara Featured at “flowers” to be Held at Towada Art Center in Aomori
- Rhizomatiks Exhibit “Not Architect, But Architecture” at GYRE
- mintdesigns at the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa
- Ryuichi Sakamoto and Arata Isozaki for Lucerne Festival in Matsushima
- Setouchi Triennale 2013 Art Festival to Kick Off on March 20th
- Makoto Azuma, Noritaka Tange and Yasumichi Morita Come Together for the Renovation of Isetan's Home Interior Floor
- Architect Ryuji Nakamura Reinterprets the Circular Series by 132 5. Issey Miyake
- Bottega Veneta Seeks to Save Cultural Landmarks in Japan
- A Look Inside Zaha Hadid’s Solo Exhibit in Japan
- Antoni Gaudi × Takehiko Inoue Exhibit Opens at Roppongi Hills
- A Monochrome World by Hanayo at CoSTUME NATIONAL
- Japan Media Arts Festival: JoJo's Hirohiko Araki “Fashion is a Part of Each Character”
- Andy Warhol Exhibit: 15 Minutes Eternal Opens at Mori Art Museum
- Popular Children’s Stories: The World of Guri and Gura at Matsuya Ginza
- Lineup of Beatles Goods at Tsutaya Books Daikanyama
- Shibuya Fashion Festival: Hachiko, Special Sales and Allowances
- Goldfish Art: Edo Sakura Renaissance & Banquet Opens at Nihonbashi Mitsui Hall
- Moynat Pop-Up No. 3 in Japan. Picnic Trunks and More
- Discover the 2015 Spring/Summer Trends at Intertextile Shanghai
- “Edo Sakura Renaissance & Banquet” Creates New Hanami Experience with Dancing Goldfish
- Japan’s Living National Treasure Fukumi Shimura Opens Exhibit in Kyoto
- “Attire and Makeup for Celebrations” Exhibit Open at Pola Museum Annex in Ginza
- Mirei Kiritani and Junko Koshino for the Opening of Rune Naitou’s Exhibit
- Leonard Tsuguharu Foujita Exhibit in Commemoration of Movie Starring Joe Odagiri
- Discover the Personal Sides of Japanese Celebrities at Nobuyoshi Araki's Exhibit at Omotesando Hills
- Akira Uno Talks About the Magic of Picture Books
- Digital Technology and Couture: Isetan Mitsukoshi on the Future of Fashion
- Passion and Design: Akira Naka’s Signature Couture Knitwear (Interview: Part 1)
- Isetan Mitsukoshi for Japan Expo in Preparation of New Store Opening in Paris
- Kanda’s 100-Year Kimono Textile Store Proposes Yukata Styles for the Summer
- “Pink is Women’s Favorite!” Reveals Shogakukan Survey on Women and Color
- Stay at Art Decorated Hotel Rooms by Yayoi Kusama, Nobuyoshi Araki and More