The Parisian department store “Le Bon Marche Rive Gauche” will open “Le Japon Rive Gauche” to showcase designs by over 100 Japanese brands. From Aug 30 to Oct 18.
A team from the department store visited Japan in 2012 and felt the “energy, new creativity and freshness” of the country. They were moved when they visited Benesse Art Site Naoshima and amazed by the art project which brought back smiles to the faces of the islanders. They were equally impressed with the architectural design of Benesse House by Tadao Ando.
“Le Japon Rive Gauche” is being organized in line with the 90th anniversary of the cultural partnership between Japan and France. The event will occupy a space of 2,000 square meters to introduce Japanese culture on a large scale.
As one of the main guests of the event, Benesse Art Site Naoshima and Tadao Ando will hold a cultural exhibit pertaining to their art project. An enormous model of Ando’s architectural work on Naoshima Island, reproduced by Ecole Boulle students, will be installed on the third floor. Photos and videos along with works by Tadao will also go on exhibit. On the first floor, a video dubbed “Smile,” compiling photos and films of smiling islanders taken at Naoshima, Teshima and Inujima will be screened. On Sept 2, Ando will paint the store windows on the spot to accompany his other sketches which will also adorn the windows.
From sacai, the main guest of the fashion category, a capsule collection including packable cardigan and parka will be lined up along with women’s and men’s wear and items from sacai luck. Exclusive items designed in collaboration with PORTER, artist Kei Nakamura and other Japanese brands will also be in store.
Other participants: BEAMS, by | n (collaboration between design office nendo and Seibu/Sogo), D&DEPARTMENT, Japan Handmade (creative unit from Kyoto), Tokyu Hands, beautiful people, kolor, Maison Kitsune, Toga Pulla, Miharayasuhiro, noir kei ninomiya and TASAKI.
“It’s such a great pleasure, beyond my dreams. I think that our concept of introducing contemporary art among a beautiful and traditional Japanese landscape to express a time period of 100 years, is what the visitors from Le Bon Marche related to. I hope that visitors of the event will be able to experience Naoshima through a vast model of the island,” said Ando at the conference held this week at the French Embassy. Soichiro Fukutake of Benesse Art Site Naoshima added, “Art has the ability to energize people. We want to create something new without destroying the old. We engage in public interest capitalism and convey that life becomes more interesting as we grow older.”
Le Bon Marche Focuses on Japan. Tadao Ando, sacai, BEAMS and More
Published： Jul 9, 2014, 12:36PM JST
- sacai pop up store opens at Isetan Shinjuku
- “sacai "THE" showcase” to Feature on sacai Designer Chitose Abe’s Creations. Limited Edition Items in Store
- The Doors of sacai Open at Isetan Shinjuku Pop-Up Event
- 2014-15 AW: Hybrid Styles by sacai Introduce a Variety of Combinations
- “Envelope” Deck Shoes by Tod’s × nendo
- nendo × Japanese Traditional Manufacturers at Sogo and Seibu
- Passion and Design: Akira Naka’s Signature Couture Knitwear (Interview: Part 1)
- Kanda’s 100-Year Kimono Textile Store Proposes Yukata Styles for the Summer
- Isetan Mitsukoshi to Open its “Cool Japan” Concept Store in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Isetan Mitsukoshi’s Japan Senses Project Explores the Magic of Setouchi’s Denim Industry Part 2
- Isetan Mitsukoshi’s Japan Senses Project Explores the Magic of Setouchi’s Denim Industry Part 1
- Sacai’s 2015-16 A/W Collection Represents Strong Women
- Sacai × NikeLab Presents Sportswear Transformed into Pleated Skirts
- Sacai by Chitose Abe Teams-Up with Nike
- Sacai Plays with Classic Men’s Styles (2015-16 A/W)
- Sacai 2015 S/S for Women Shows Brilliant Mash-Up of Styles
- Isetan Mitsukoshi for Japan Expo in Preparation of New Store Opening in Paris
- Isetan Mitsukoshi to Take Part in France’s Premiere Classe for the First Time
- A Visit to the Fondation Louis Vuitton Museum with Air France's La Premiere First Class Concierge Services
- Leonard Tsuguharu Foujita Exhibit in Commemoration of Movie Starring Joe Odagiri
- Inside Air France’s La Premiere Lounge. High Quality Services Welcome World-Class Travelers
- Makoto Azuma, Noritaka Tange and Yasumichi Morita Come Together for the Renovation of Isetan's Home Interior Floor
- Architect Ryuji Nakamura Reinterprets the Circular Series by 132 5. Issey Miyake
- Bottega Veneta Seeks to Save Cultural Landmarks in Japan
- A Look Inside Zaha Hadid’s Solo Exhibit in Japan
- Antoni Gaudi × Takehiko Inoue Exhibit Opens at Roppongi Hills
- Hokusai and Yuni Yoshida: Collaboration of the Past and Present at Mitsukoshi
- Isetan Shinjuku; Tokyo’s Most Fashion Forward Department Store Lives Up to the Legend
- Newcomer-Model Saira is the Face of Isetan Mitsukoshi’s “This is Japan” Campaign
- Japan Seen Through the Eyes of Le Bon Marche
- Le Bon Marche Focuses on Japan. Tadao Ando, sacai, BEAMS and More
- LVMH Kodomo Art Maison Designed by Shigeru Ban Architects in Support of Fukushima
- Nakamuraya Salon Museum Gathers Historic Japanese Artworks