Blue Bottle Coffee Company recently announced the opening of its first overseas cafe, to take place on Feb 6, 2015 in Tokyo. The location of the cafe will be Kiyosumi-Shirakawa, a popular area for locals surrounded by a leisurely and peaceful atmosphere. A second cafe is already in the works, scheduled to open in Aoyama on Mar 7.
Founded in 2002 and headquartered in Oakland, California, the company operates cafes in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York. Being a popular investment among tech elites including Evan Williams, co-founder of Twitter, Blue Bottle Coffee received about $45 million in funding these recent years.
“Our brand draws inspiration from Kissaten (Japanese style coffee shop) culture and is steadily gaining recognition across the US. The Kiyosu area has the right characteristics to maintain our quality and ambiance,” reveals founder James Freeman on the choice for the location of the first overseas shop. Both the Kiyosu and Aoyama additions will be directly managed by the US headquarters, with some of the US staffs relocating to Tokyo as educators of the brand’s flavor and hospitality and also as students of Japanese culture.
Tokyo is already rich with coffee culture, ranging from the traditional Kissaten to global giant Starbucks and third wave coffee, which makes it the best city for assessing the importance of coffee culture.
The Apple Inc. of Coffee "Blue Bottle" Opens First Overseas Cafe in Japan
Published： Dec 31, 2015, 10:16PM JST
- Bottega Veneta Seeks to Save Cultural Landmarks in Japan
- Producer of Dojima Hotel Opens “All Day Coffee”
- Pop-Up Event by The Tastemakers & Co. to Feature Organic Coffee and Soup at Isetan Shinjuku
- MAISON KITSUNÉ Opens First Street Level Store in Japan. Limited and Collaborated Items and KITSUNÉ Coffee
- Hiroshi Fujiwara Opens Up About the Closing of The Pool Aoyama and His Next Move
- Philippe Lebru of Utinam Besancon Designs Giant Pendulum Clock for Via Bus Stop Store in Aoyama, Tokyo
- Blue Bottle Coffee Opens First Overseas Cafe in Tokyo, Japan
- The Apple Inc. of Coffee "Blue Bottle" Opens First Overseas Cafe in Japan
- Ahonen & Lamberg Comes to Japan for Monogram Installation
- Trip to Kyoto: Japanese Bath House from the Taisho Period Renewed as a Retro Cafe
- Haneda Airport Offers Great Food and Beauty Services
- Concept Store for IMA at Roppongi AXIS. Space Design by JTQ and Kohei Nawa
- Proenza Schouler Designers Visit Japan. Pop-Up Event at Isetan Shinjuku
- Maison Margiela Opens New Store at Ginza Mitsukoshi
- Tod's Flower Bag in Exclusive Ginza Mitsukoshi Blue and Navy Combination
- The New Fourth Floor of Ginza Mitsukoshi Targets High End Female Customers from Around the World
- Valentino Showcases L’Amour Capsule Collection at Isetan’s Tokyo Midtown Shop
- Isetan Mitsukoshi for Japan Expo in Preparation of New Store Opening in Paris
- Q Plaza Harajuku is the New Landmark Connecting Shibuya and Omotesando
- Iiser Loen by Ieri Design Products Opens Flagship at Omotesando Hills
- Isetan Salone: Charming Display of Collaborations with Hyke, Mame and Taro Horiuchi for Tokyo Midtown Opening
- Jam Home Made: Good Luck Charms for Happy Couples
- Newcomer-Model Saira is the Face of Isetan Mitsukoshi’s “This is Japan” Campaign